For Purim, We’re Standing with Ukraine
Like many Americans, each day when we see the worsening humanitarian and refugee crisis in Ukraine, we ask what we can do to help. In just three weeks, Vladimir Putin’s unconscionable war has forced three million Ukrainians to flee their homes, creating the fastest-growing refugee crisis in Europe since WWII. Russia’s bombardment of Ukrainian civilians, hospitals, and schools has created an unspeakable humanitarian tragedy and immense suffering. Jewish Dems stand with the people of Ukraine in their fight for freedom and safety and encourage you to join us in taking action.
This week is Purim. The Fast of Esther begins Wednesday morning and ends Wednesday night. If you are able, take part in the Fast of Esther as a Fast for Ukraine and join the conversation on social media by using the hashtag #Fasting4Ukraine. If fasting doesn’t work for you, please consider donating your “lunch money” to one of the organizations providing life-saving services and supporting humanitarian work on the ground. A list of such organizations and other steps you can take to stand with Ukraine is below.
- Thank members of Congress for passing $13.6 billion in aid to Ukraine.
- Purchase a “Jewish Dems Stand with Ukraine” item today. Proceeds will be donated to HIAS in support of its emergency response in Ukraine.
- Read & share ‘A Purim fast for Ukraine’.
- Visit hias.org to learn more about what they are doing to support refugees in Ukraine and around the world and how you can support them.
- Support the Jewish Agency’s work on the ground in Ukraine.
- Support the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee to help meet the spiking humanitarian needs in Ukraine
- Support the many organizations providing life-saving care to Ukrainians in need.
- Watch Ukrainian President Zelensky address Congress tomorrow at 12:00pm ET.
Our hearts and prayers are with the people of Ukraine, and we thank you for your partnership.
CEO, Jewish Democratic Council of America