Jewish Dems Call for Action on Gun Violence Prevention
WASHINGTON – In response to recent mass shootings in Georgia and Colorado, Jewish Democratic Council of America (JDCA) CEO Halie Soifer released the following statement:
“The horrific mass shootings in Georgia and Colorado are the latest in a long list of preventable gun violence tragedies in the United States. Jewish Dems stand in mourning and in strength with the communities impacted by mass shootings with a refusal to accept ‘thoughts and prayers’ as an alternative to action.
“We agree with President Biden – gun safety cannot continue to be a partisan issue, and we strongly encourage Republicans to fulfill their obligation to protect the safety and security of the American people. Jewish Dems call on Congress to end the gridlock on gun violence prevention legislation and pass common sense gun reform.
“The Senate hasn’t passed a major gun safety law in 27 years and gun violence is at a record high. It is beyond time for action.”
JDCA is calling on Congress to take immediate action including, but not limited to:
- Passing Universal Background Checks, including closing the gun show loophole and Charleston loophole. The House of Representatives passed critical legislation which would enact universal background checks in March.
- Banning assault and semi-automatic weapons and prohibiting large-capacity magazines.
- Blocking people with dangerous histories from having guns, including passing Federal Red Flag Laws.
- Prohibiting individuals convicted of hate crimes from purchasing guns.
- Enacting waiting periods to require a buffer between gun purchases and when the buyer can actually take possession of a firearm.