It’s not your imagination. Every week, the Trump administration and Republicans in Congress are taking our country in a direction that’s inconsistent with our values. This week, President Trump announced his plans to deprive millions of Americans access to affordable healthcare after the 2020 election, Republicans in the House repeated Trump’s attempts to politicize matters related to Israel, and Republicans in the Senate further diminished the strength of our democracy by breaking Senate rules to stack the courts with conservative judges.
How should we respond to these and other assaults on our country and our values? By taking action with the Jewish Democratic Council of America’s (JDCA) and supporting our efforts as we we advocate for our values and prepare for the next election. Also – looking to wear your values on your sleeve (or tote bag, or coffee mug)? Check out the JDCA store today! Debuting here for the first time, we’re thrilled to launch a unique line of products that are sure to fire you up for 2020.
If you’re looking for a way to take action in support of progressive, Democratic, pro-Israel and Jewish values, then visit JDCA’s TAKE ACTION page today. You’ll find the following opportunities to advocate in support of our values:
- Send a letter to your senators demanding the Senate pass gun safety legislation, starting with universal gun background checks.
- Send a letter to your representative and senators in support of access to affordable healthcare, urging them to save and strengthen the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Sign a petition to President Trump demanding that he unequivocally denounce white nationalism.
- Sign a petition demanding Congress take action to combat climate change and protect our environment.
- Sign a petition demanding Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) apologize for reading from Mein Kampf and calling Democrats “Nazis” on the House floor.
And more… check out the many action items here.
JDCA Speaks Out
This week JDCA was busy defending our values. A few examples…
- We condemned House Republicans for once again politicizing support for Israel and opposition to the Boycott, Sanctions, and Divestment (BDS) movement.
- We denounced Senate Republicans for threatening the strength of our democracy by violating Senate rules in order to stack the courts with conservative judges.
- We condemned the Trump administration for closing (or as they call it, “restructuring”) an office within the Homeland Security Department that focuses on combating domestic terrorism as hate crimes are on the rise.
- We demanded the release of the entire Mueller Report. Now.
- We reiterated our commitment to gender pay equity on Equal Pay Day.
- We were among the first organizations to support the House resolution opposing the Boycott, Sanctions, and Divestment (BDS) movement and supporting a two-state solution.
If you are excited about the work that JDCA is doing and want to get ready for 2020, need an afikomen prize for this year’s seders, or just want to treat yourself to a new t-shirt or tote bag, make sure to check out JDCA’s new store. Purchases will support our continued work.
Every week brings challenges, and every week we meet them. Stay informed in real-time by following JDCA on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. We thank you for supporting JDCA as we fight for socially progressive, pro-Israel, and Jewish values.
Chair, Jewish Democratic Council of America
Executive Director, Jewish Democratic Council of America