After weeks of negativity in Washington, we are determined to start Shabbat on a positive note. While it is easy to become so consumed by the news cycle that you become defined by who you oppose or what you “resist,” we remain focused on an affirmative policy agenda that reflects our values.
The 2018 midterm election demonstrated that we win elections by advocating for our values, running on our values, and voting our values. In 2018, this led to meaningful change by flipping the House of Representatives to Democratic control. In the 116th Congress, we have already seen the monumental impact of the election, as our values have inspired legislative action in the House.
As we prepare for 2020, we know that values will lead to victory when it comes to the Senate and the White House, and the Jewish Democratic Council of America (JDCA) is proud to serve as the voice of Jewish and Democratic values.
JDCA is the only organization that serves as the voice of Jewish Democrats. We are committed to ensuring that the Democratic party continues to serve as the home of the American Jewish electorate, and that U.S. policy and elected officials reflect socially progressive, pro-Israel, and Jewish values, as reflected in our platform.
JDCA is developing an advocacy agenda in the 116th Congress. Please join us and support JDCA today as we advocate for this agenda in Congress, mobilize at the grassroots level, and support elected officials and candidates who share our values.
JDCA’s advocacy agenda includes the following issues:
1) Combating anti-Semitism and all forms of discrimination. JDCA opposes and will continue to speak out against all forms of hatred, discrimination and bigotry, including anti-Semitism, at home and abroad. JDCA will continue to call on all U.S. government officials to forcefully and unequivocally condemn anti-Semitism and other forms of discrimination whenever and wherever it occurs.
2) Protecting democratic institutions and the right to vote. JDCA supports efforts to protect our democratic institutions and separation of powers, as well as congressional oversight of the executive branch. We also support efforts to strengthen election security to combat unlawful interference in our elections, as well as efforts to make it easier for all eligible Americans to vote.
3) Promoting human rights, civil liberty, and freedom. JDCA strongly believes in the principle of human dignity and safeguarding the rights of all. JDCA opposes efforts to blur the boundaries between religion and state, and believes that a free press is a bedrock of our democracy. The rights to privacy, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and reproductive choice must be vigorously defended.
4) Supporting the U.S.-Israel relationship and opposing BDS. JDCA strongly supports the unbreakable bond between the United States and Israel based on shared strategic interests and common values. We support full U.S. military assistance to Israel to ensure the Jewish state maintains its qualitative military edge and ability to defend itself. JDCA supports a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and opposes the global Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement and other efforts to delegitimize the state of Israel. JDCA supports a robust leadership role for the United States in the Middle East, and is committed to ensuring that Iran never acquires nuclear weapons.
5) Promoting comprehensive and humane immigration reform. JDCA supports comprehensive and humane immigration reform that offers a path to citizenship for undocumented individuals, keeps families together, protects asylum seekers, and provides protections for Dreamers. We strongly oppose the Trump administration’s Muslim ban and “zero-tolerance” policy of separating families at the border.
6) Defending against climate change and other environmental threats. Climate change is real and must be addressed immediately to mitigate against its devastating humanitarian, economic and security impact. JDCA supports efforts to protect our environment by investing in green infrastructure, clean energy and efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, while also protecting vulnerable and marginalized communities.
7) Advocating for common-sense gun reforms. JDCA strongly supports common-sense gun reform to end the crisis of gun violence that has plagued our communities and schools. We will fight for restrictions on firearms that will meaningfully reduce gun violence, including background checks and bans and additional limits on deadly firearms and ammunition.
8) Supporting access to affordable healthcare. Healthcare is a right, not a privilege. Nobody should have to choose between adequate healthcare and other basic needs. While the Affordable Care Act (ACA) has dramatically improved healthcare access, we must do more to ensure that all Americans have access to affordable healthcare, including affordable prescription drugs. We are committed to addressing the opioid epidemic in our country.
JDCA is focusing on advocating for these issues even as we continue to respond to current political events and news. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to see the latest from this week, including a statement of concern about recent political developments in Israel, our response to President Trump’s “emergency” declaration on our southern border, and our petition calling on Congress to pursue legal action against this abuse of power.
Finally, please consider supporting JDCA as we chart the path of values to victory in 2020 and beyond.
Chair, Jewish Democratic Council of America
Executive Director, Jewish Democratic Council of America