During Passover, we reflect on our liberation from slavery and oppression and the triumph of justice and freedom. We reaffirm our commitment to ensuring equality, justice and freedom for all. This week, our commitment to justice had added resonance given recent developments surrounding the Mueller Report. The Torah tells us “tzedek tzedek tirdof – justice, justice you shall pursue.” We at the Jewish Democratic Council of America (JDCA) are guided in our mission by these values, and we support the effort in Congress to pursue justice and protect our democracy from current and future threats, including those laid out in the Mueller Report.
Yesterday, JDCA hosted a conference call with the leading constitutional law authority in Congress, Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD), who discussed the findings of the Mueller Report, including “sweeping and systematic” Russian interference in the 2016 election. He explained that collusion is not a legal concept, that the Supreme Court plays no role in impeachment, and that the Mueller Report explicitly states that Congress should be the body that determines whether President Trump obstructed justice.
The Mueller Report details an “intolerable disrespect for the rule of law,” as Rep. Raskin described it, by President Trump, his campaign and administration officials. Most concerning are the ten instances of potential obstruction of justice by President Trump outlined in the report. This is in addition to other wrongdoings by President Trump, such as his ongoing violations of the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution.
As Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) said this week in an op-ed in the Washington Post, “It is up to Congress to assure that the president and his associates work for the American people and not for some undisclosed personal or foreign interests.” That is precisely what Democrats such as Congressmen Raskin and Schiff are doing now as leaders on the Hill. We at JDCA are grateful to have played a critical role in helping to flip the House to Democratic control in the midterm elections, which made this leadership possible.
At this critical juncture in American history, Democratic leadership is essential for ensuring that justice is pursued.
You can listen to our entire call with Rep. Raskin below, and mark your calendars for the next JDCA briefing call on May 9 at 4:00 pm EDT when we’ll hear from House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-CA) about steps Congress is taking to defend our democracy given the findings of the Mueller Report. Please consider supporting JDCA today as we continue to provide such opportunities to our community and give voice to Jewish values.
JDCA Speaking Out
- Listen to our entire conference call with Rep. Jamie Raskin regarding the findings of the Mueller Report.
- Read a profile of JDCA Executive Director Halie Soifer in the Jewish News of Northern California, in which she talks about the important work of JDCA in representing our values.
- Read about JDCA’s effort to expose ongoing instances of anti-Semitism and bigotry among Republicans, such as Rep. Matt Gaetz’s (R-FL) recent hiring of a former White House aide who is known to be associated with white nationalists.
- Read JDCA’s commemoration of Earth Day with a reiteration of our demand that Congress take action on climate change.
Take Action with JDCA
- Sign and share our petition demanding that Attorney General William Barr step down because he has acted as the president’s personal defense attorney, instead of our nation’s highest law enforcement officer.
- Visit our Take Action page to see the other issues we are fighting for and take action with JDCA today on a range of issues informed by our Jewish values.
These are just a fraction of our activities. Every week brings challenges, and every week, we meet them. Stay informed in real-time by following JDCA on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram so that you don’t miss anything, including our next briefing call. And don’t forget to check out our online store.
Our work is not possible without your support, and we thank you for standing with JDCA as we fight for socially progressive, pro-Israel, and Jewish values.
Shabbat Shalom and Chag Sameach,
Chair, Jewish Democratic Council of America
Executive Director, Jewish Democratic Council of America