As we approach the Fourth of July, we are reflecting on the vision of our Founding Fathers, who fought a revolution to free Americans from autocratic rule. We are also reminded of the prophetic warning of President George Washington to “guard against the imposters of pretend patriotism.”
It has become painfully clear that we must guard our democracy against President Trump’s form of patriotism, which he has chosen to display by militarizing and politicizing the Fourth of July celebration in our nation’s capital.
President Trump has insisted on rolling tanks through the streets of DC, similar to military parades in North Korea, China or Russia, which are led by autocratic leaders whom he admires. President Trump does not seem to understand that military hardware is not what makes America great. Our incredible military is a tool that must be deployed sparingly to defend our freedom, but it is not the source of our strength.
The way we treat each other and our neighbors – including migrants at our borders – is how we demonstrate our strength as Americans.
On this Fourth of July, the Jewish Democratic Council of America (JDCA) is celebrating our democracy and freedom, as well as our commitment to defending it, by calling for the freedom of others. Please take action to end the humanitarian crisis at our border.
As we enjoy and defend our freedom, take action with JDCA to defend the rights of the thousands of children and migrants detained on our border. Join with JDCA and other social justice organizations in giving voice to our values.
Here are FIVE actions you can take right now:
- Sign JDCA’s letter to President Trump, demanding he end the humanitarian crisis on our southern border and stop family separations;
- Call your Member of Congress, demanding they address the inhumane conditions at detention centers on our southern borders;
- Call your Member of Congress, demanding they support the NO BAN Act, to end the Muslim Ban;
- Participate in HIAS’s Pro Bono Attorney Delegation to visit and defend migrants on the border and offer legal services (HIAS); and
- Give frequent flyer miles to reconnect families (Miles4Migrants).
Every week brings challenges, and every week, we meet them. Stay informed in real-time by following JDCA on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram so that you don’t miss anything, including briefing calls and events. And be sure to visit our online store.
Wishing you a happy Fourth of July,
Chair, Jewish Democratic Council of America
Executive Director, Jewish Democratic Council of America