Five Ways the Inflation Reduction Act Delivers
On Tuesday, we wrote to you about 10 historic bills Democrats recently passed in the House and Republicans’ near-unanimous opposition. Just hours after we sent that email, Republican senators filibustered and blocked the PACT Act, a bill to expand essential health care coverage for U.S. veterans who were exposed to toxic chemicals while serving our country. Republicans are so blinded by partisan politics that they are willing to turn their backs on America’s veterans.
Democrats remain focused on delivering results and that is why Jewish Dems are supporting the Inflation Reduction Act. This bill will reduce the impact of inflation, lower healthcare costs, and makes the largest investment in combating climate change in U.S. history – all without raising taxes on any family making less than $400,000. Read about five ways the Inflation Reduction Act delivers for Americans and take action with JDCA today.
1. Tell Congress to swiftly pass the Inflation Reduction Act
2. Sign up for the Jewish Democratic Women for Action’s (JDWA) conversation between the Special Envoy to Monitor and Combat Antisemitism, Ambassador Deborah Lipstadt, and former U.S. Ambassador to Israel, Dan Shapiro.
3. Put our commitment as Jews to ensure ‘Never Again’ into action. Join JDCA and the Jewish Rohingya Justice Network in demanding accountability and action to stop the genocide against the Rohingya people in Burma.
FIVE WAYS THE INFLATION REDUCTION ACT DELIVERS
1. Closing Tax Loopholes: The Inflation Reduction Act establishes a 15% Corporate Minimum Tax on the wealthiest Americans and corporations and closes the carried interest loophole. By making sure the most wealthy pay their fair share, President Biden and Democrats’ bill will reduce the deficit and help fight inflation.
2. Largest Initiative to Combat Climate Change in U.S. History: Thanks to Democratic leadership, this bill will include one of the most substantial initiatives to combat climate change in our nation’s history. By investing in a decarbonized economy, American farmers, and communities affected by environmental injustice, the Inflation Reduction Act will put the U.S. on a path to 40% emissions reduction by 2030.
3. Lower Energy Costs: Investments in clean energy rebate programs and tax rebates for clean energy home appliances and cars will help to combat climate change and create good-paying manufacturing jobs in the U.S.
4. Energy Independence: Russia’s unprovoked war of choice in Ukraine proved the importance of ensuring energy independence. Investments in clean energy production and manufacturing will ease the bottleneck on supply chains and make American energy prices less susceptible to future price hikes.
5. Increased Healthcare Subsidies and Lower Drug Costs: The Inflation Reduction Act will lower drug costs by allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices and instituting a new “inflation rebate.” The bill will also cap Medicare patients’ out-of-pocket costs at $2,000 per year so nobody has to pay tens of thousands of dollars for life-saving medicine.
Democrats have a path to victory this November and Jewish Dems are focusing our efforts in states where the Jewish electorate can deliver victory for Democrats in close races. With your continued partnership and support, the Jewish vote will make the difference in November.
Hon. Ron Klein
Board Chair, Jewish Democratic Council of America